Saturday 15 September 2012

Cover Letter


Aditi Agarwal
(HP)xxxxxxxxx
(E-mail) xxxxx

10th September, 2012


Human Resource Manager,
ExxonMobil Pvt Ltd,

 
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a second year student, graduating in May 2015 from National University of Singapore with Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering. I would like to be considered for an internship position at ExxonMobil information technology division for the coming summer (May - August).  I came to know about the position through the NUS career center. Having a passion for various problem-solving activities together with strong interpersonal and analytical abilities, I find this program an excellent place to head start my career.

My comprehensive course training at NUS coupled with various co-curricular activities have helped me to come out from my comfort zone and made me more adaptive to my surroundings facilitating an all round growth of my personality. I believe my strong experience in Java, C++ and C will help me make an important contribution to ExxonMobil. Designing a software development project as part of the curriculum I have developed strong skills in software engineering and product specifications. I will also be working as a Undergraduate Student Researcher under Institute for Infocomm Research this December. My role will include development of software on Android platform for a desktop application.

Having keen interest in studies and application based learning, I was awarded the prestigious SIA-NOL (Singapore Airline - Neptune Orient Line) Undergraduate scholarship to pursue my graduation in NUS. I was also selected from about 500 students to be part of the Enhanced Learning in Information Technology (ELITe) programme under the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore(IDA), that aims to develop "industry-ready" infocomm graduates. Being part of this  program I was able to acquire practical exposure through industry attachments, mentorship, projects and skills development through certifications. I feel these skills are beyond classroom learning and have not only garnered my interest in this field but also made me more capable to make a significant contribution to ExxonMobil.

I have always believed in developing skills beyond academics. Being the Sales and Development Director for ECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering) and Community and Public Relations Director for IEEE (Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers) , I believe I have honed my skills and these experiences have taught me invaluable lessons on leadership and team work.

My classes in Computer Engineering have prepared me well to make significant contribution to your organization. I hope that after reviewing my skills and experience; as elucidated in my resume; you would consider me to become a member of the ExxonMobil family and widen my horizons.


Thank you for your time.
Yours Sincerely,
Aditi Agarwal

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aditi,


    Thank you for posting this. It can help me improve my own cover letter as this is such a great example of cover letters. It explains well on your skills, experiences and possible contributions to the company.

    I only have one suggestion that you use justified alignment to make the letter look neater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramon for the prompt reply. I am happy you found it helpful.

      I was trying to justify it but doesn't seem to work on the editor of BlogSopt.sg

      Anyways thanks again :)
      Aditi

      Delete
  2. Hi Aditi,

    Well done for the application letter!
    As I see from this letter, you branded yourself as a person with strong technical skills (e.g. Java, C++, etc.)and you did clearly point out the feature that makes you different from other undergraduates in the same course, which is your experience from being part of the ELITs.

    Also, I feel your confidence as I read this cover letter, which I think makes your letter very impressive and persuasive.

    One thing I want to suggest is maybe you should elaborate more on the skills that you developed beyond the academics, as you already mentioned at the end of the letter.

    Thank you for a great post! ^^

    ReplyDelete