Friday 9 November 2012

Blog Post #5 - Reflection on OP

Your heart speaks!! 

I believe expressing your ideas in front of a crowd is an art. An art that can be polished and developed by practice and determination. From sweaty palms to cracking voices, speaking publicly can really be terrifying, but it is an essential skill in today's competitive world.

ES2007s oral presentation was an excellent platform for me to polish my presentation skills and learn valuable lessons on public speaking. It was overwhelming to receive good response from classmates and satisfying to know that they liked our group's presentation. I would like to thank my group mates for their commendable work and effortless feedback. I believe their feedback helped shape my presentation the way it did. The presence of Ms Karen Wong added a sense of passion and seriousness to our delivery. I was really obliged that she made it to our presentation. I think every presenter and each presentation which was delivered involved weeks of discussion, meetings and efforts.  All of us really wanted to give it our best and we did.

Personally, I enjoy sharing and pitching my ideas to others. Being part of declamation and debate competitions I have developed my skills to make myself more competitive and less terrified on stage. However, presenting an idea or a proposal is very different from a debate and involves a subtle sense of maturity and intelligence. The only thing I wanted to do was to convince my listeners and make sure they have something to think about once they leave this (in that context) room. Since, I was beginning the presentation it was important to capture my audience's attention and convince them that a problem indeed exists. This was very important for the rest of the presentation to flow smoothly. Thanks to our group's multiple practices, I had good control over the content and the slides.  I am satisfied with my delivery and happy to have undergone this experience.

I have also learnt some great points about effective delivery. Though I made a conscious effort to keep my pace slow, I guess this is somewhere I can still work on. I should keep my tone and pace relative to the audience I am addressing. I also feel knowing and believing in your content is very important. If my group and I had done a bit more research about the how the scheme was implemented in the past, it would have strengthened our case. Nevertheless, this was an enriching experience and I learned a lot from it.



My mantra to successful delivery is to speak from your heart, to believe in what you say and convince others that there is worth to what you are saying.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Aditi,

    I really love your presentation. I think you are a brilliant presenter! You convey the message clearly and we were able to understand all of it!

    In my opinion, your proposal was very convinced and I would love to have the welcome tea with my mentor as I can interact more with the mentors (and I can also get free nice food. :P) I think you have done enough researches and they all support your presentation well!

    Your nonverbal communication was indeed excellent. You used eye contact efficiently and the position you chose to stand when you presented was brilliant. It can show all of your nonverbal language without having table hiding your posture!

    Again, great job on your presentation. I would love to watch you presenting again! It was a very enjoyable time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramon,
      Thanks for your encouraging comments. I am really happy and satisfied that you all liked it. My aim was to simply let my listeners believe in what I say. I always go very fast and this time I tried to slow down a bit. This is something that would have made me more clear and easy to listen to.

      I guess we all can learn and improve. I aim to do that.

      Thank you for your feedback. Small things matter.

      Aditi

      Delete
  2. Hi Aditi,

    I agree very much with you that believing in our content is very important. Before we can convince others, we have to convince ourselves first.

    I felt that you did a great job during the presentation. The content was clear, it was persuasive and your pace was fine =) Although our group did not have the best mix of horoscopes, we still worked very well as a team! I had a great time working with you all and I really learnt a lot from this experience.

    Cheers,
    Jestina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jestina,

      First of all, it was a pleasure working with you. Haha, yes we indeed did not have matching horoscopes, but I guess we still gelled in quite well. It was fulfilling to be part of the presentation and I have learnt a lot from it.

      Thank you for your feedback always, you helped me a lot!

      Regards,
      Aditi

      Delete
  3. Hi Aditi!

    Before I will start, I want to congratulate you for your good effort on the presentation! I really think you where the best. The way you stand out, was that you where appealing to everyone. I need some more of your skills. One thing that I reckon was the repeating of the word " basically. After a while, I started to count the number of times you repeat it. About 10 times. It seems like it is your favorite word ;)But Aditi, you are really worth an eulogy for this presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,

      Thank you for your feedback. I am humbled to know you enjoyed our presentation. When something goes good, it feels that the hard work had paid off.

      Thanks for noticing, the repeated usage of the word, I have been told that before, i guess I speak the word out of nervousness and lack of proper terms. I will definitely work on it.

      Thanks again.
      Aditi

      Delete
  4. Hi teammate!

    About time I got to your post! First things first, great job on the presentation. You set the bar for the rest of us in the team to try to reach. You did exactly as rehearsed. With the exception of, as Johanna pointed out, the "basically's". I wonder how we may have missed that during our rehearsals. That aside, it is worth another mention that you did a wonderful job presenting. You always do :D

    Something that I can certainly learn from you would be the professionalism that comes with each and every signature-Aditi-presentation. It is certainly something to strive towards.

    Moving on to comments about your post
    I like how your post was a good read. You brought up quite a few valid points that I could relate to; that I feel could appeal to the reader. You shared with us a few of your personal takes including even your mantra at the end and for that I thank you:D
    I certainly agree with your first paragraph about expressing one's ideas being an art.

    Besides that, I found one teeny weeny flaw.
    " The only thing I wanted to do was to convince my listeners and make sure they have something to think about once they leave this (in that context) room. " (This feels more like two things than one)

    Other than that, great post:D

    Hakeem


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hakeem,

      Thank you for your encouraging comments and feedback. As always, very detailed and apt.
      You are just too sweet to subject it as an Aditi-like presentation. I think we all worked hard. Your feedback during the various practices we had, definitely helped me improve.

      I guess the "basically's" came out of nervousness and impatience. I definitely need to work on that.

      Regards,
      Aditi

      Delete
  5. Hi Aditi!

    I really love your presentation. I've told you before and I will say it again here, it is always a pleasure to hear you present because I feel I don't have to strain to hear you better or to stop and ponder what you said in order to decipher your intention and meaning. In other words, I don't have to put in any effort in order to understand you! This was also the case with your OP, which if described in a word, impressive.

    You were so clear, concise, and easy to understand, You also spoke with conviction and enthusiasm about your topic, and you handled the Q&A very professionally. Your nonverbals were great too, not onyl did you have good eye contact with the crowd, but somehow, I can't quite explain it, but your eye contact seems more intense than others. This made you more engaging. Maybe its cuz you have huge eyes? hahaha.

    Either way, well done!!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gwen,

      Thanks for the flattering comments. I am really satisfied and receiving such comments pleases me. Thanks for your support and feedback after mock OP. i guess everything helped solution diggers improve ourselves and we could eventually excel.

      Thanks and have fun with other presentations.

      Regards,
      Aditi

      Delete
  6. Hi Aditi

    I was really impressed with your presentation. Being the first in your group to present, you were actually successful in drawing the audience's interest in the topic and convince them that the problem does exist.You were passionate, concise and fluent in getting your points across. Very well done indeed.
    However, the topic that your group chose has influence the proposal to some extent . Personally, I have lost my trust in the effectiveness of such program, so I was not totally open to buy the idea of coming to a welcome tea. In fact, I think your group should have concentrated on several approaches to recover the students's positive attitude toward the scheme as the first solution for the proposal before trying to raise the public awareness.

    In any case,it was a pleasure to attend your presentation and I really admire the hardworking attitude of your team.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      Thank you for your feedback and insightful comments. You definitely have pointed out something important here.

      I agree that our topic is rather conventional and not very interesting. This was the reason we put in extra effort to make it more pleasing and interesting for our classmates. It was a challenge certainly. Hopefully, I could convince you to some extent. You also did an excellent job.

      Regards,
      Aditi

      Delete