Sunday 18 November 2012

Blog Post #6 Final Reflection on Learning

The end to a fulfilling journey!

As I deliberate what I want to write for this post, a lot of classroom experiences come to my mind. My entire post will refer to these experiences as part of my journey! Each one of them has contributed to my abilities and polished my professional communication skills. Time has passed rather quickly and this post officially marks the end of this insightful journey.

I believe something that kept me interested in the module was that it was very different from the conventional lecture style modules (you enter class and the first screen is Facebook). I interacted with different sets of people, made good friends and understood the depth of inter cultural differences. There was something other than numbers (that I usually see in my other modules) and this module sometimes served as a stress buster for me. Though it was a core module for my major and I had bid for it with the same intention (I have to do it), I guess ES2007S is one of the best modules I have done as part of my undergraduate studies in NUS. It has made me more aware, more confident and expanded my social network. I think the appreciation for the module stems from the fact that it was enjoyable and yet we learned a lot from it. I think Brad has played an important role in shaping the entire course of our journey and making it memorable. I remember when I was bidding for this module, one of my seniors told me, "do take ES2007S, but remember to take it under Brad". I think this is very true. Through this post I would like to thank Brad and all my classmates to have made this a memorable experience for me and helped me improve my professional communication and interpersonal skills.

My focus area for this post would be the research proposal. This was the first time I had engaged in writing a research proposal unlike presentations which I have done before. I think this is an essential workplace skill and I am glad I had an opportunity to enhance it through ES2007S. It involved a subtle sense of maturity and professional approach. I learned how important it is to design effective survey questions that are directed to get the right answers from your respondents. It is also very important to conduct interviews in a very dignified and courteous manner especially because it involves important personnel. Professional communication is indispensable to get your idea across. The various key requirements of writing a research proposal ranging from the letter of authorization to the cover letter, executive summary, problems and solutions, have made me appreciate the importance of formal writing. It feels great to have been successful in this endeavor and having the proposal sent to Ms Karen Wong. This was something novel from me and I have garnered a lot of useful feedback and experience from this which will help me writing effective proposals later in life.

I think ES2007S was not only a journey of learning and improving but also of self-discovery. I have learnt more about myself than anybody else. Being subject to different difficult situations, for example, the interview process, elevator pitch and oral presentation, I have realized how I act in different situations and identified the scope for improvement in each one. I have learnt to work in a team with very diverse and culturally different people. I have tried to be more courteous in my negotiations with others. I have also made myself more capable of handling both positive and negative feedback.

In my first post I had mentioned about my expectations from this module and my perspective of professional communication. This post serves to close the loop and highlight the useful life lessons I have learnt as part of this module. Apart from the usual skills of effective presentation, professional and semi-formal writing there are a lot of indirect experiences:

1) Inter cultural awareness is prime to effective communication and courtesy.

2) Friends can be great facilitators and teachers

3) Diversity contributes to individuality

4) Empathy can make communication effective by adding a personal touch

5) Fake it till you become it!



The last class had some honest confessions to make and a time to share useful life experiences. I am glad we got time outside the class and fostered stronger bonds. Since this is the last time I am writing as part of this module, I would like to thank each one of you for your timely and useful feedback and effortless comments on my posts. It was great to share the same class with you. You all directly and indirectly have taught me something that is valuable and will help me in future.

Here is wishing you, all the best for your future endeavors and let us keep in touch!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Aditi

    I love this post, it was very comprehensive. You also mentioned many thoughts that I had about this module too, but couldn't write due to the word limit.

    I like the list of indirect experiences that you learnt during the course of ES2007s, especially point number 3 (Diversity contributes to individuality
    ) and 5 (Fake it till you become it!) You mentioned to put in words what I felt about our classroom dynamics perfectly in one clear sentence. I think Amy Cuddy's quote will be the most memorable quote from ES2007s. Thanks Brad for showing us the video!

    Keep in touch, Aditi!

    -Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen,

      Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. Indeed the module has been an enriching experience and I am certainly going to miss the classes.

      Amy Cuddy will definitely be an inspiration for all of us. She made us believe nothing is impossible and everything we do is a leaning experience.

      Yes we should indeed keep in touch. I will also try to update this blog. I thank you again for your useful feedback. Hope this is start to a new friendship. :)

      Thanks,
      Aditi (in the power pose :P)

      Delete
  2. Hi Aditi,

    We had the same reasons on taking this course. My senior also suggested me to take this module as it would teach me a lot of stuff that would be very useful in the future. I am happy that we both take this course as I have learnt a lot from you!

    Regarding your post, it is nice again. You are a good writer. Although this course has already ended, please do not stop uploading blog post because I would love to continue reading your post again! :D I love how you conclude all the experiences using bullet points. It is very clear and concise.

    I totally agree with your second point. Friends help me improve a lot as they are both good examples and great inspirations. I would love to say thanks to you as you help me improve myself a lot as you are such a good presenter that inspires me to work harder add seeing how good your writing is, I want to become like you, which is my inspiration!

    Thank you for everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ramon,

      Thank you for your encouraging comments and useful feedback. Yes, we took the course together and I am glad we shared the same class. There so much we can learn from each other.
      I really love your presentations and develop the same charisma you possess. We all have enjoyed the module and if there is some other higher level course that Brad teaches, we can take that together.

      Again, thanks for always helping me and becoming my first international friend in NUS.

      Thanks,
      Aditi

      Delete
  3. Hi Aditi!

    Great blogpost and a very good summary of this module! We have learnt a lot and I think you wrote one important thing: "I have learnt more about myself than anybody else."
    In this module you get time and also feedback on everything you do to see what strenghts and weaknesses you have. There is not many modules where you get this kind of feedback, especially feedback from both teacher and other students!

    Good luck with everything and thanks for a great effort in our project work!

    Patrik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Patrik,

    Thank you for your feedback and comments. The module was a different experience for all of us and we all have learn essential life skills from it. ES2007s is indeed an unique module.

    Hope you enjoyed your stay in NUS and the environment here was conducive for you. I would also like to thank you for your patience during our OP and research proposal. You were very easy to work with.

    Regards,
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya Aditi!

    This is yet again, another wonderful post. All the marks of a signature Aditi post might I add:D It is a great overall reflection and I appreciate that you have tried to cover as much of your reflections on the module as possible. Your points are well substantiated.

    However, I wish to highlight on one thing. I guess something that both you and I are guilty of have always been lengthy posts. It is vital that we put in more effort into making our posts more succinct. That in itself, in my opinion is an art. To pack so much into so little.

    Anyway, I am sure the learning journey does not end here. If anything, this is but just the start:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hakeem,

    Thank you for your feedback and encouraging comments. Though the post was supposed to be focussed on one area I wanted to give an overview of my general perception of the module.

    I guess that is what increased the length of the post. I should definitely work on this.

    thanks
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Aditi, for this well-crafted final reflection. Of course I appreciate your accolades. But more importantly, I like the way you provide a comprehensive overview of what you see as a major learning outcome (in proposal writing) and in terms of highlights of the module. You address all of these points with great fluency and insight.

    Your tireless effort throughout the last three months has apparently paid great dividends. Your skills were on display in the proposal and the final OP, both of which were excellent in many facets. The fact that Karen Wong from the FoS now holds your proposal and actually came to the OP is telling. You and your group members did a real professional job.

    You've been a central figure in that project work and in our classroom community, Aditi. For our classroom discussions, whether during debriefings or in reference to content, you provided questions and keen insights. On the facebook page and here in the blog, you've been very active. For all the class activities you were an engaged participant. I really appreciate the serious approach you've taken to the course. This last post is an extension of that, as it constitutes a fine summing up.

    Thank you for all your hard work. All the best to you as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad for your encouraging comments. They really mean a lot to me. I am really satisfied that my hard work has been accepted and appreciated.

      I have mentioned what I felt in the post, but lastly, I would thank you for always being patient with me and guiding me throughout. When I think from your perspective you have a hell lot of work, from blogs to grading to feedback for 3 classes. I guess this kind of sincerity is really commendable.

      Thank you for always helping me out. Greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Aditi

      Delete
  9. Hi Aditi,
    I shared same sentiments as you. I felt that this class is so interesting and different from all of my other modules mainly because of the more open and interactive teaching style. We also had a very diverse group of classmates from different faculties, and so many different countries. And finally we had a great tutor Brad, who is always giving us the chance to express our ideas and also always sharing his personal experiences with us.
    Lastly, I think that you have contributed a lot to this class as you are always providing great ideas and giving constructive comments during lessons. This class would not have been the same without you. I hope that everyone in this class can still keep in touch with each other. All the best for the coming exam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aditi.

    Your blogposts is always the most interesting ones so I always ends up reading them. You are always having thoroughly discussions which I often agree with.

    I am glad that you listen to your seniors, and sign up for this module, because I have learnt a lot from you in terms of feedback and inspiration.

    You mention a very important sentence, "I have learnt more about myself than anybody else". Congratulations, it is good that you feel so because thats what the course is all about.

    I like your discussion of the things that you realized that you want to improve. To improve them, the first step is to recognize your weaknesses.

    Good luck in the future, you are going to be an excellent writer. Please keep on blogging. I would love to hear about you thoughts and keep in contact.

    ReplyDelete